Did I tell you guys that I got hired as the GM for the Sharks? Well I did, and here's how I answered the salary cap questions. You're welcome.
Thanks to capgeek.com, of course.
|2010-11 San Jose Sharks|
|* Patrick Marleau||—||$6,800,000|
|* Joe Pavelski||—||$4,000,000|
|* Devin Setoguchi||—||$3,000,000|
|* Scott Nichol||—||$750,000|
|* Manny Malhotra||—||$700,000|
|* Jed Ortmeyer||—||$550,000|
|* Dwight Helminen||—||$500,000|
|LOST VIA REENTRY WAIVERS|
AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
Dany Heatley ($7.500m) / Joe Thornton ($7.200m) / * Patrick Marleau ($6.800m)
* Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / * Devin Setoguchi ($3.000m)
Torrey Mitchell ($1.367m) / Logan Couture ($1.242m) / Jamie McGinn ($0.997m)
Benn Ferriero ($0.850m) / * Scott Nichol ($0.750m) / * Manny Malhotra ($0.700m)
* Jed Ortmeyer ($0.550m) / * Dwight Helminen ($0.500m)
Dan Boyle ($6.667m) / Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Kent Huskins ($1.700m)
Nick Petrecki ($1.125m) / Jason Demers ($0.543m)
Alex Stalock ($0.850m) / Thomas Greiss ($0.550m)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.115m; CAP ROOM: $2.030m BONUSES: $1.345m
- Pavelski gets resigned for $4.0m, up from his $1.75m, which is more than fair.This amount should be plenty to keep him in San Jose. Compare Mike Richards at $5.75m and Martin Havlat at $5m. Pavelski may be there someday but he certainly isn't yet.
- Setoguchi gets $3m, up from $1.2m, which is right in line with his performance. He's got potential to be a guy that gets paid more, but until he delivers consistently he won't be getting it.
- Guys like Nichol and Malhotra will hopefully stay with the club for the same reduced rates, but could likely ask for more based on their post-season play. If this happens the club should try and keep them but they aren't the same critical priorities as the young offensive talent. In my list above I have them resigning for the same amount they received this past season. If Wilson can get Pavelski and Setoguchi to sign for less (I think he probably can) then throw the extra money at these guys because I loved having them on the team.
- Marleau gets $6.8m, up from his current $6.3m. All signs point to him and his family wanting to stay in San Jose, and a modest increase in pay will likely keep him.
- The biggest question mark is, obviously, in goal. Nabokov has been an incredibly steady and reliable regular season goalie for years, and I appreciate his service for the Sharks, but it's time to move on. If Nabokov had more years on his contract I would be happy to keep him, but since it's decision time then we have to think about his relative value in years to come. You have to think about the opportunity cost of signing Nabokov, and since it would likely mean losing some combination of Marleau, Pavelski, and Setoguchi it isn't worth it.The Sharks are going to have to deal with life Post-Nabby at some point, so why not now? Why risk losing quality young offensive talent in order to get a few more seasons out of a declining Nabokov when the team needs to start seriously examining their other goaltending options?
- With the numbers I put together above, the team still has a couple of million to throw at some mostly washed-up goalie with a proven track record, but I'll play goalie myself before we sign Marty Turco.
Jewels from the Crown (Kings fans need to mind their own business) broke it down slightly differently, assuming the Sharks could sign Nabokov for $3m. At that price I might do it, if we got to keep the other players, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be. Even if Nabby's back I don't want him playing more than fifty games. We need to see what else is coming down the pipe for this team in net.
- You can never underestimate what Doug Wilson can get done. He's an elite GM and has done an amazing job. I'm not at all worried about how this will shake out, because he's done nothing to make me question him.
- I've never paid any attention to this salary cap stuff outside of an EA Sports game, so I'm probably doing ton of shit wrong and being completely unrealistic about everything. Feel free to savage me in the comments - it's the only way I'll learn.