"I’ve been getting a feeling, like my previously innocent spirit has become a little distracted. When I realized this, I felt like something stretched and then snapped. It might seem like a small change, but for me it was huge. I feel that I can’t continue serious training, and to perform as a professional fighter in this condition. For me as a fighter, the most important things are 'feelings.'" Read Miku Matsumoto's statement on her retirement over at MMA Rising, as translated by Roxanne Modafferi.
A post on DEEP's official blog says that fans at tomorrow's "46th Impact" show at Korakuen Hall will hear a "historic" announcement, "not only for DEEP, but for Japanese MMA." On Twitter, Japanese blogger Gryphon first speculated that Shinya Aoki (who's managed by DEEP boss Shigeru Saeki) could announce the opponent for his first American bout. However, Tony Loiseleur mentions rumors of DEEP Women's Lightweight Champion Miku Matsumoto retiring, and an article on GBRing confirms that the announcement will be the retirement of a famous fighter.
UFC veteran and former WEC lightweight champion Hermes Franca on Friday night announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. His decision comes on the heels of a loss via TKO to Eric Wisely at MaxFightsDM: Ballroom Brawl IV in Des Moines, Iowa "The fans gave me the passion and strength that kept me competing at the championship levels for all these years. Without them, I couldn't have done it. I owe it all to the fans," said Franca, while indicating that his body just can't keep up with the demands of today's elite level fighters. Former UFC #1 Lightweight contender and WEC champion Hermes Franca announces his retirement from MMA.
Brazilian lightweight veteran Jean "White Bear" Silva announced his retirement from MMA to Tatame today, citing exhaustion and his current lack of a manager, among other reasons. "After a 10-year career and 40 fights, I feel too tired to both train and manage my new training center here in Joao Pessoa... It's a very sad day for me, but sooner or later this day would have come. I think I've given my contribution to MMA, mainly in England, where I spent most of my career." Photo by Dave Mandel for Sherdog.
Melvin Manhoef has retired from MMA competition following his first round submission loss to eventual DREAM Middleweight Grand Prix champion Gegard Mousasi last week. The news comes from a Manhoef spokesman, who tells Fightline that "training seven days a week and three times a day has taken its toll on his family life." No word on whether the 32-year-old Dutch striker will continue competing in K-1, where he was last seen in April being KO'd by Remy Bonjasky.